Please share this post!
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditPin on Pinterest

 December 11th we go in to UAB high risk for evaluation. The only good news we receive is that the baby looks perfect. I do in fact have placenta acreta. We are told there is about an eyelash between my placenta and my bladder. The doctor tells us I will need open abdominal surgery. 100% chance of hysterectomy, 100% will have partial bladder removal, 100% will have 1 -2 nights minimum in SICU, 100% will need blood transfusions. The baby will go to NICU as we are not allowed to go past 34 weeks. They seem very doubtful we will make it that far. In fact at this appointment we are 22.2 weeks and they seem to think 24 weeks is optimistic.

      I am told there will be around 10 doctors in my delivery. I am told it will be in main OR. Olan will not be allowed in with me. I may or may not get to meet my baby... if the right anesthesia team is on they will let me be awake for delivery then be put me out for the up to 6 hour surgery to try and repair and put me back together. It is repeatedly said that this is a life threatening pregnancy for me.

     Before we leave we are referred to an oncology gyn surgeon. They will do operation as blood loss is anticipated to be great and they have experience in handling this. It is clear on ultrasound the problem area is very vascular.

     The 13th we meet with surgeon. We desperately want to hear some good news. In fact, I ask if anything could look less bleak. We are told no, she actually has more bad news. She tells us I will need possibly up to 20 units of blood along with plasma and platelets. I will have a catheter hopefully no more than two weeks. She does not feel comfortable going all the way to 34 weeks.  Once again, life threatening said several times.

     I decide that since I will not be with Olan at delivery that he should go ahead and reveal gender. We go out for a nice meal the following Saturday and see It's A Wonderful Life at the Alabama Theatre. I find out my sweet miracle is a baby girl. We decide on the name Kalani which means of the heavens and Mikelle which means miracle. Because, our little Kalani Mikelle is truly going to be a miracle of the heavens.

     Today I can proudly say we are 25.1 weeks along. So far, no bleeding or any other risk signs we have been warned about. We know things can change in a moment, but we are holding hope. Our next goal is 26 weeks which will be this coming Sunday.


Please share this post!
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditPin on Pinterest

Add your comment

Comments for this Post